Thursday, November 3, 2011

With liberty, justice and pink boots for all!

Winter is coming quickly and as much as I would love to be enjoying the mild temps in Florida wearing my beloved flip flops I must face reality and prepare my family for colder weather.  For my 5 year old that meant new boots but of course no ordinary boots would do.  They needed to be had to be pink!  Who made this decree?  Certainly not the 5 year old.  If she had made such demands I would have promptly told her in my sternest of voices that we take what we get around here and are thankful for it.  Luckily it was I who longed for her to have pink boots so the quest began.  My sweet middle daughter accompanied me on this journey.  With minimal eye rolling she joined me at no less than 5 stores to find the perfect boots.  The problem was they were no where to be found.  I knew exactly what I wanted.  I could see them in my mind.  Pink, soft,  and most of all C-U-T-E but all for less than $20.  I finally found what I was looking for at Kohl's however they had different colored buttons and that was not in the picture in my mind.  I decided to change things out a little and get what I wanted, um, I mean needed after all.  After a quick trip to Joann's I was ready to go.



I first removed the colored buttons with scissors and a seam ripper.  I'm saving them for another day.  They are cute and will probably show up on a denim jumper soon.



For some crazy reason I thought I would use matching thread to sew them on.  I'm really not sure what I was thinking.  As soon as I started taking the others off I knew I needed something stronger so I raided my older girls friendship bracelet making box and came away with matching embroidery floss.  I threw everything in the shoe box and headed upstairs to watch Monday Night Football and turn the boots into the boots of my dreams.  


After that everything was as easy as sewing a button on.  :)  Well, that is, once I made a quick trip back downstairs for my thimble.  Boy was that thing a life saver.


Now they are exactly what I was looking for and she loves them almost as much as I do.  I'm trying to get better about looking at things with open eyes.  What can I do to change this, make it work, make it mine, make it last, get more from it, spend less on it ... you get the idea.  I don't know that this really counts but I'm happy anyway!  What about you?  Have you found something that needed a little tweaking to make it exactly what you were looking for?
  

1 comment:

  1. Love the boots......I didn't mind the colored buttons, but the pink is definitely an improvement :-) Too cute!

    ReplyDelete