Sunday, October 16, 2011

Not Just a Plain Denim Jacket

This year my youngest daughter started Kindergarten.  Like many other little girls this was a milestone to be marked with new clothes.  I really wanted a denim jacket for her and started looking around in mid July.  I'd hoped to find one second hand since I planned to dress it up a little.  Unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough for that but I was not discouraged.   I picked one up during back to school shopping in August, washed and dried it and hung it in my sewing area waiting for the right spark of inspiration, a.k.a. time.  Last night while waiting for my oldest daughter to try on her homecoming dress and before sampling a new design I took it off the hanger and decided to have a go at it.  I was surprised at how quickly it went even with taking pics along the way.


Before
Before




After I selected fabric I laid the collar out on paper to trace for a pattern.  I traced around 3 sides of the collar and then drew the bottom line in.  Next I added a seam allowance to my pattern paper (the dashed line) and cut out the pattern.






Using the pattern I cut my fabric, pinned the right sides together and sewed them leaving an opening to turn the outside right.  Confession Time!!!  I know that I should be snipping and trimming the corners so they will turn nice but I rarely do that.  Instead I just make a quick trip around the seam allowance with my pinking shears.  It's just easier.  After that was a quick press with the iron.




Next I pinned the turned and pressed piece to my collar and started sewing it on.  Next time I will use more pins to reduce the amount of shifting.  There were a few thick spots that I had to use my hump jumper to help things along but overall it was very easy.



This is what I call a hump jumper.  Joann's sells a similar product called a jean-a-ma-jig.  It is great for getting over thick spots when the feed dogs won't move the fabric along.


  Once I finished the collar I moved on to put an applique on the back.  I decided to use the flower frame applique available in my shop.  The 6x10 size was perfect for the back of the jacket.  I did change my needle to a 16 to work with the denim on both my sewing machine and embroidery machine.  

And here is the finished product ...




  


How about you?  Have you ever "dressed things up a little"?  Have plans for something in the future?







1 comment: